B-472 Commercial Finance Accounting (AAT) Apprenticeship with Fort Vale Engineering in Burnley
- Job Description
Fort Vale has an outstanding and on-going commitment to its highly successful Advanced Apprenticeship programme. Company founder and owner Ted Fort was a former engineering apprentice himself and for many years Fort Vale has taken on and developed apprentices. We firmly believe that young people are the key to our on-going success and as such, two former apprentices are now Board members. This Commercial Finance Apprenticeship (CFA) has been designed to develop the CFA to work within the Finance department. The CFA framework consists of an Accounting Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard (certified to AAT level) this will be achieved through attending Blackburn College on a day release.
The Commercial Finance Apprentice (CFA) will work within this friendly company, who offer a pleasant but busy working environment. The CFA will have the opportunity to work across several departments, developing their ‘all round skills’. Ultimately, this will allow the CFA to learn, develop and know exactly what added value Finance gives, and in the process, derive self- and work satisfaction from achieving weekly, monthly and yearly objectives and goals.
Within a small team, the role will develop to cover working in areas such as Accounts Payable & Receivable, Payroll, & accounts preparation. The CFA must be commercially orienteered; an excellent communicator and team player; pro-active and supportive of changes in the organisation.
The main tasks of the role are outlined below:
• To provide administrative support, including, general admin activities, and maintenance and management of information to Fort Vale.
• To undergo ongoing training and professional development.
• In Accounts Receivable, perform customer account creation, posting invoices once goods are dispatched and payments received. Also, deal with incoming cash, posting to customer accounts and keeping the receivables cashbook up to date.
• In Accounts Payable, perform supplier invoice processing, matching and paying. Also, dealing with supplier queries and reconciling supplier statements.
• Understand a computerised accounting software package and Microsoft Excel
• Become a valuable member of the Finance team.
• Build strong inter-personal skills
• Provide support for finance systems
• Contribute to the continuous improvement of Fort Vale.
The CFA reports to the Finance Director/Apprentice Training Manager and is responsible for working with the Finance team to achieve its objectives. The CFA must work with Fort Vale policies and procedures. The CFA’s role is one of continual development. Tasks and responsibilities will be reviewed periodically in line with modules completed on the Apprenticeship programme and business needs. The CFA will gain an understanding of the main Finance functions. If appropriate and suitable further training will be provided to allow progression to full membership of the Association of Accounting Techicians.
- Person Specification
Skills and Abilities
- Computer literate and a willingness to develop skills in this area.
- Excellent numeracy and grammar
- Good organisational skills, problem recognition and dispute resolution
- Ability to work accurately and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively within a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative to think through problems to find solutions within agreed guidelines.
- Ability to manage workload effectively.
- Good verbal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to promote Fort Vale in a positive manner.
- Ability to answer, speak confidently and take messages on the telephone.
- To be able to recognise and implement the need for professional confidentiality.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- A desire to pursue a career in Finance.
The person must be highly motivated and committed to the completion of the Apprenticeship. The person will be able to demonstrate that they have the necessary finance, administrative, technical skills, experience and competence to add value to the work of the Company, Team and Customers and to ensure the timely delivery of delegated tasks and quality services under general supervision only. The person will demonstrate the following attributes:
- A positive attitude.
- Results orientated and client focused.
- Honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Able to demonstrate own initiative.
- Sound work ethic.
- Pleasant telephone manner.
Health and Safety
It is the responsibility of all post holders to become familiar with and remain compliant with all the health and safety rules and regulations applicable to the Company.
The following qualifications are acceptable for the Commercial Financial Apprenticeship:
- Good general level of education, 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths and English.
- A recently accredited Level 3 diploma in Business and Finance wishing to pursue a vocation in Accountancy.
Candidates will be required to undertake initial assessment at Blackburn College.
- Other Information
Apprenticeship or Advanced Apprenticeship
18 - 22 months
Training to be Provided
Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Standard
Association of Accounting Technicians Level 3
Functional Skills in Maths and English (if required) at Level 2
A permanent position may be available on successful completion of the apprenticeship.
- How To Apply
- Apply for this vacancy now!