Safeguarding Children with Disabilities
- Course Code: CHEL066
- Duration: 1 year
- Price: £40.00
- Start Date:
- Days: MON/FRI
- Times: 09:00-17:00
- Validated by: NONE
- Delivery Type: PT
This course is designed for anyone who works with children, young people and their families.
- What will I study?
In the UK there are approximately 1.2 million children living with disabilities (Families and Children Study, 2002). This course aims to raise awareness of specific needs of disabled children in relation to their vulnerability and communication.
The course contains an overview of the national and local agenda in relation to children with disabilities, basic knowledge of the range of protection needs of disabled children and information on how you can enable them to communicate about their experiences and provide support.
On completion of this module learners will have covered these learning objectives:
- Be able to recall some of the key legislation and guidance relating directly and indirectly to children and disability
- Understand the range of initiatives focussing on disabled children, their siblings and carers, including their rights enshrined in legislation, government guidance or recommendations from disability groups
- Be able to state what disability is under the Disability Discrimination Act and list the four main types of disability
- Understand why communication is important, be able to name means of and barriers to communication for disabled children, and be able to describe how to ensure consultation and participation
- Be able to explain how children from minority ethnic backgrounds could experience ‘double discrimination' and how professionals can influence this
- Understand the key elements that go into various aspects of child welfare, including transitional planning, multi-agency working, dealing with diagnosis etc.
- Recognise how safeguarding issues fit into the process, such as the links between abuse and disability, the need for Sex and Relationships Education and how the disclosure of abuse affects parents/carers
- Welcome and learning objectives
- Context and Overview
- Rights of Children, Young People, Facilities and Carers
- Awareness of Different Types of Disability
- Attitudes and Value
- Guidelines for Working
- Safeguarding Issues
- Abuse and Parents/Carers and summary
- Entry Requirements
There are no specific entry requirements for this module.
- How will I be assessed?
With 60 interactive screens, it is estimated that this module will take approximately 2 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
- What can I do next?
here are many other Childcare courses on our website.
- For more information