- Course Code: FS001
- Duration: 1 year
- Validated by: City and Guilds
The catering and hospitality industry is diverse, providing meals and snacks for millions of people every day. The content of this qualification is underpinned by the belief that to work as a successful chef in the catering industry it is essential to have a good foundation in a wide range of high quality cooking skills and to be able to apply them across a range of catering contexts. In addition, you will be actively involved in the running of Cafe Central, one of the campuses vibrant cafes.
- What will I study?
To achieve the Certificate in Professional Cookery candidates must complete all twelve units. Candidates will also receive a Certificate of unit credit for each completed unit. You will study units such as:-
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching, steaming, stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting, grilling, deep frying and shallow frying
- Food and beverage service
- Entry Requirements
This qualification is a good follow up to those who have completed the Entry Level qualification or equivalent.
- How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed using the following methods:-
- Questioning (this could be verbal or written).
- What can I do next?
You could go on to study a Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Professional Cookery, or you could seek employment as a Food Service staff member.
- Your Study Programme