- Course Code: HS044-Y1
- Duration: 2 year
- Validated by: EDEXCEL
- Study Mode: Full time
The course is aimed at people wishing to pursue a career in Public Services; it will allow an insight into a range of public sector related topics and will include some interaction with a range of Public Services.
- What will I study?
The course is made up of 11 Public Services units - 6 core units and at least 5 specialist units. The specialist units explore particular topics in depth. Units cover topics such as:
- Government, Policies and Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the
- Uniformed Public Services
- Skills for land and water based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Police powers in the Public Services
- Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Aspects of the legal system
- Maths & English*
*If you have not achieved a Grade C or above in your Maths and English Language GCSEs you will be required to work towards a GCSE Grade C in these subjects as part of your Study Programme.
- Entry Requirements
This qualification is suitable for students aged 16 upwards and recommended for those who have achieved four or more A*- C Grade GCSEs including one GCSE in English and a GCSE grade D or above in Maths, or have completed a relevant BTEC First at Merit or Distinction Grade, including a strong reference from previous tutors.
- How will I be assessed?
BTECs are not exam-based qualifications, a number of different methods of assessment are used. Students may be assessed individually or through group work assignments.
- What can I do next?
Once you have completed your Level 3 course, you will be able to apply to a range of Universities. A triple distrinction in your diploma gives the same level of UCAS Tariff points as 3 As at A-Level. Many students progress to University Centre at Blackburn College where 9 out of 10 graduates are in work or further study just six months after graduation. Particular courses students progress on to include:
- Fire & Rescue Service Management Foundation Degree FdA
- Public Service Management Foundation Degree FdA
- Public Service Management (Housing) Foundation Degree FdA
- Public Service Management (Uniformed Services) Foundation Degree FdA
- Criminology & Criminal Justice Foundation Degree FdA
After you have successfully completed any of these foundation degrees you are able to progress on to an BA (Hons) (Top Up) degree which means you will achieve a full BA (Hons) qualification. Studying a Foundation Degree and a Top Up year takes 3 years in total to achieve your degree.
- Your Study Programme