International Entry Requirements

English Language Requirements

You will be required to undergo a Secure English Language Test (SELT) during the application stage of your enrolment to Blackburn College.

The only SELT provider is IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The scores from the IELTS test determine your eligibility to study a particular level of course.

Please note. There are different IELTS tests available. All students applying to Blackburn College must undertake the IELTS for UKVI (UK Visa & Immigration) Academic test. This is a UK government approved Secure English Language Test. This means that the UKVI Academic IELTS test can be used to prove your English language abilities in support of your Tier 4 UK study Visa and Immigration application. 

If you do not have the required SELT score, you will need to undertake our short Preparation for IELTs/General English for International Students qualification for all courses below degree level with the aim of gaining a higher IELTS score. You can attain a short-term study visa for this course. 

If you wish to study degree level course (Higher National Diploma, Foundation Degree, Honours, Master's etc.) you will need have achieved our minimum recommended IELTS scores before being able to join the programme.  

Please check the International Fees and Finance page of the website to see the SELT scores required for each qualification. 

Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS)

You may find that we ask you to take part in Skype Interview before we issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance Letter. This interview is to assess your level of English and also will give you the opportunity to ask any questions you have about studying at Blackburn College. Skype is a free tool that you can download to your computer. It helps if you also have a Webcam.

For full and up to date information on the UK’s entry requirements and how to obtain a VISA go to the Home Office website.

UK Home Office & Tier 4 Visas

You will be required to gain a Tier 4 Visa during your studies at Blackburn College. Tier 4 Visas are study visas. We recommend that all International students visit the UK Home Office website and familiarise themselves with the requirements for gaining a Tier 4 visa. The requirements for International students wishing to study on a Tier 4 Visa in the UK often change and you will find that following the information on the UK Home Office website will help you understand the application process.