University Centre courses starting January 2017
Whether you are looking to change your career, return to education or improve your job prospects, the University Centre at Blackburn College can support you to achieve your goals.
Why not take the first step with a Higher Education course this January? Our January start range of courses is accessible, affordable and available now.
Courses available in January 2017 include:
Higher National Certificates and Diplomas
- HND Applied Biology
- HND Applied Chemistry
- HNC Construction and the Built Environment
- HND Health and Social Care (Health)
- HNC Mechanical Engineering
- HND Mechanical Engineering
- HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- FdA Accounting with Financial Services
- FdA Business - Saturday classes available
- FdA Counselling
- FdA Disability Studies (Inclusive Practice)
- FdA Early Childhood Studies
- FdA Fire & Rescue Service Management
- FdA Hospitality Management (with Events Management)
- FdA Public Service Management
- FdA Public Service Management (Uniformed Services)
Degrees and Degrees with Foundation Entry
- BA (Hons) Social Science
- BA (Hons) Social Science with Foundation Entry
- BA (Hons) History & Politics
- BA (Hons) History & Politics with Foundation Entry
- BA (Hons) History & Sociology
- BA (Hons) History & Sociology with Foundation Entry
- BSc (Hons) Public Health (Top Up)
AAT - Accounting and Book Keeping
- AAT - Level 2 - Book Keeping Certificate
- AAT - Level 2 - Certificate in Accounting
- AAT - Level 3 - Diploma in Accounting
- AAT - Level 4 - Diploma in Accounting
AMSPAR - Medical
CIM - Marketing
- CIM - Level 4 - Certificate in Professional Marketing
- CIM - Level 6 - Diploma in Professional Marketing
CIPD - Human Resource Management
CIPS - Procurement and Purchasing
ILM - Management
- ILM - Innovation & Change - DAYTIME
- ILM - Innovation & Change - EVENING
- ILM - Lead Effective Meetings - DAYTIME
- ILM - Lead Effective Meetings (EVE)
- ILM - Level 3 Award - DAYTIME
- ILM - Level 3 Award - EVENING
- ILM - Level 3 Certificate - DAYTIME
- ILM - Level 3 Certificate - EVENING
- ILM - Level 3 Diploma in Leadership & Management - DAYTIME
- ILM - Level 3 Diploma in Leadership & Management - EVENING
- ILM - Level 5 - Leading Innovation & Change
- ILM - Level 5 - Making a Financial Case
- ILM - Level 5 - Managing Improvement
ILM - Level 5 Award in Leadership & Management
- ILM - Level 5 Certificate in Leadership & Management
- ILM Level 3 Award in Mentoring
Courses for International students
We have a selection of courses available to start in January 2017 for International students:
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering HNC
- Mechanical Engineering Higher National Certificate HNC
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Higher National Diploma HND
- Mechanical Engineering Higher National Diploma HND
- Applied Biology Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Applied Chemistry Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Health and Social Care (Health) Higher National Diploma HND
The International courses listed above will start on 9th January 2017. You can apply for any of these courses for International students through our International Student application form
- FINANCING YOUR COURSE
Going to University is not as expensive as you think. You will have to pay nothing upfront if you take a Tuition Fee loan – and there are a range of government loans and grants to pay for your studies as well as to support you with things like accommodation and living expenses while you study.
- Tuition Fees for Full-Time Students - Enrol January 2017 - pay 2016 fees!
We charge £7,500 a year for full-time undergraduate courses. That’s still £1,500 a year less than many other institutions – a £4,500 saving over the course of a standard three year Honours degree.Foundation Entry degrees will be charged at £3,900 before the fee reverts to being the same as three year Honours degrees in the subsequent years of the course. If you enrol in January 2017 you will pay 2016 fees!
- Advanced Learner Loans
If you are aged 24+ or you already have a Level 3 qualification (eg. A-Levels) you can study an Access to Higher Education Diploma for FREE. Simply take out an Advanced Learner Loan and the Loan will be written off once you complete an eligible University course. Terms and conditions apply.
- Tuition Fee Loan
This covers the full cost of your fees for every year of study and you only start to pay it back when you earn £21,000 a year which will be deducted directly from your salary. As your earnings increase, your payments will also increase – see below table.
IMAGINE YOU EARN AVERAGE MONTHLY SALARY AFTER TAX AND STUDENT LOAN MONTHLY REPAYMENT £20,000 A YEAR £1,390.60 a month £0 £21,500 A YEAR £1,443.27 a month £4 £25,000 A YEAR £1,643.96 a month £30 £30,000 A YEAR £1889.77 a month £67.50
- Fees for Part-Time Students
We charge £550 a module for part-time undergraduate modules with a value of 15 credits. Modules with a credit value other than 15 credits will be charged on a pro-rata basis. It is cheaper to undertake a course part-time rather than full-time but you will not have access to Maintenance Loans and it will take you longer to complete your qualification.
- Maintenance Loan
This is to cover living costs and you can loan up to £6,904 for every year of study. All full-time, undergraduate students can apply for this loan and you will only start to pay it back when you earn over £21,000 a year. The repayments will be deducted direct from your salary. See the table above for the levels of repayments required.
- Additional Grants
These are available for students on low incomes with adult or child dependents including: Childcare Grant – you could get up to £155 per week for one child and £266 per week if you have two or more children. Parents Learning Allowance – you could get up to £1,573 a year. Adult Dependants’ Grant – you could get up to £2,757 a year.
We would advise you to speak with our friendly and professional Student Finance team so that you can maximise the support you receive. Call them on 01254 292839 for a chat or to make an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our online contact form and an adviser will be in touch with you at a time that's convenient.