Accreditations And Awards
Blackburn College is proud to be a Higher Education Academy (HEA) Access Partner. This demonstrates that the College supports the continuous professional development of our Higher Education staff in their teaching with opportunities beyond our institution, such as involvement with the HEA’s communities of practice and online resources.
The body that safeguards the public interest in sound standards of Higher Education qualifications is the QAA (the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education). They do this by working with Universities and Higher Education Institutions to define academic standards and quality, and by carrying out and publishing reviews against these standards. University Centre at Blackburn College was last reviewed in 2015. You can read our review and also see the areas of good practice online.
Blackburn College is a Disability Confident Employer. This means we have completed the Disability Confident self-assessment and are actively engaged in all of the core actions to be a Disability Confident employer.
We are proactively:
• challenging attitudes towards recruitment of disabled people
• increasing understanding of disability in the workplace
• removing barriers to disabled people and those with long term health conditions in employment
• ensuring that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfill their potential and realise their aspirations
Ofsted 2020 Update
Ofsted inspectors judged Blackburn College to be making progress as part of a monitoring visit conducted in January 2020. The focus of Ofsted’s monitoring visit was to evaluate the progress that leaders and managers have made in addressing the main areas of improvement identified by Ofsted in the previous inspection.
Blackburn College is among the first in the country to be visited under Ofsted’s new stringent and rigorous Education Inspection Framework. A full inspection will take place in due course.
Inspectors found College leaders and managers “have a good understanding of the strengths and the weaknesses at the College…[and] have put in place successful actions to improve the quality of education that learners receive.”
Ofsted recognised that “the governing body has been reviewed and strengthened by appointing two new governors who have a relevant education background” and that “an ethos of continues improvement, with a strong focus on providing an ambitious curriculum now pervades the College.”
Advance HE are dedicated to helping higher education shape its future.
- Providing insight, so you can use the foresight
- Enhancing organisational performance, to deliver sustainable change
- Developing and connecting people, so they can delivery impact
- Accrediting achievement, so you can be recognised