Accreditations And Awards
Blackburn College is proud to be a Higher Education Academy (HEA) Access Partner. This demonstrates that the College supports the continuous professional development of our Higher Education staff in their teaching with opportunities beyond our institution, such as involvement with the HEA’s communities of practice and online resources.
The body that safeguards the public interest in sound standards of Higher Education qualifications is the QAA (the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education). They do this by working with Universities and Higher Education Institutions to define academic standards and quality, and by carrying out and publishing reviews against these standards. University Centre at Blackburn College was last reviewed in 2015. You can read our review and also see the areas of good practice online.
Blackburn College is a Disability Confident Employer. This means we have completed the Disability Confident self-assessment and are actively engaged in all of the core actions to be a Disability Confident employer.
We are proactively:
• challenging attitudes towards recruitment of disabled people
• increasing understanding of disability in the workplace
• removing barriers to disabled people and those with long term health conditions in employment
• ensuring that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfill their potential and realise their aspirations
Following the recent Ofsted inspection of Blackburn College, we are pleased to see positive comments endorsing the long standing reputation of the College. As an institution that continually strives to improve, we also welcome the ideas for further improvement, which are all already underway.
We are particularly pleased that Ofsted recognised that our Apprentices benefit from developing high-level technical skills in high quality, prestigious workplaces with good industry resources and that our A-Level students are now achieving higher grades in their assessments and an increasing number are securing places at prestigious universities.
We are also proud that our students themselves were praised for their behaviour and respect shown to others.
We agree with Ofsted’s recommendation to improve our existing focus on progress, stretch and challenge and setting and monitoring of targets.
Blackburn College has secured the highest industry-backed recognition for the quality of its STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) based education and training by achieving STEM Assured status.
STEM Assured is the only educational standard that independently verifies and benchmarks the quality of STEM provision. It is the most prestigious accolade an institution can receive in STEM.
To achieve the STEM Assured status, education providers (schools, colleges, universities) are assessed against a robust framework that benchmarks their capability to design and deliver STEM courses that keep pace with emerging technology and the evolving needs of employers.
By achieving the STEM Assured status, Blackburn College demonstrated that:
• Its STEM-related provision is of a consistently high quality and aligned with current and anticipated industry requirements
• Its provision reflects real life work needs
• Its employability and related transferrable skills are embedded into the curriculum and reflect their students journey
• It is committed to continual improvement and innovation of its provision to ensure that it keeps pace with rapid advances in technology and the changing jobs market
• It has clear engagement processes with employers and key stakeholders
The validation panel particularly praised the College’s innovative approach to curriculum development as well as its investment in specialist facilities, in collaboration and consultation with major employers.
Blackburn College’s substantial STEM investment programme includes the STEM dedicated Futures Centre and the Regional Automotive Technical Hub (RATH) where students can train in collaboration with BMW, Masserati, Skoda and Nissan.
As well as working with a host of prestigious car manufacturers, the College has developed a number of other strategic STEM based partnerships with leading employers including Engineering Company NIS, BCW Engineering and Precision Polymer Engineering.
Advance HE are dedicated to helping higher education shape its future.
- Providing insight, so you can use the foresight
- Enhancing organisational performance, to deliver sustainable change
- Developing and connecting people, so they can delivery impact
- Accrediting achievement, so you can be recognised
About Us News & Student Stories
Staff and Students March in the Durham Miners Gala...
Blackburn College staff and students took to the s...
Blackburn Pioneer Of Digital Community Learning Re...
An inspirational tutor from Blackburn has won a na...
College Supports Successful National Festival of M...
Blackburn College has remained an integral part of...
College Supports Project to Develop Lancashire’s W...
Blackburn College is supporting a new programme de...