Why Choose Blackburn College?
Blackburn College is the largest Further Education college in Pennine Lancashire and one of the largest providers of Higher Education for a college in England.
Since 1888, people from all over Lancashire and beyond have developed their skills, re-trained and moved to higher levels of study with Blackburn College's support.
- 93% of graduates in work or further study within 6 months of graduation*
- 100% A-Level Pass Rates in 23 subjects (2018)
- 34% of A-Level grades achieved at A*-B (2018)
- 2% increase in A-Level A*-B grades (2018)
- The College works with over 3,000 employers including Senator International, CAPITA Plc, Forbes Solicitors and more
- 85% of degrees approved by Lancaster University - in the top 10 Universities in the UK and The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year for 2018
*Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education (2017), known outcomes
Millions have been invested in our world-class, town-centre campus, which was developed collaboratively with employers and stakeholders to help future proof our curriculum and learn in industry-standard facilities.
We believe our Student Support Package for School Leavers (16-18 year olds) is the best in Pennine Lancashire:
- £30 per term Travel Pass
- Free Essential Kit and Uniform
- Free Breakfasts and £1.10 Lunch Deals
- Employability skills and support
- Guaranteed progression opportunities to the University Centre at Blackburn College
Similarly at the University Centre at Blackburn College students are able to receive a degree awarded by one of the UK's Top 10 Universities, Lancaster University.
View our Celebrating Success Brochure.
Engaging with Employers
We work closely with employers from a range of sectors to be an indispensable partner in supporting the economic landscape of Pennine Lancashire and beyond.
We deliver specialist, bespoke training as well as Apprenticeships, Traineeships and Professional Qualifications, all of which equip the workforce with job relevant skills that match the current employment market. Our University Centre also provides Higher Education to employers, including Foundation Degrees, Honours Degrees, Higher Level and Degree-Level Apprenticeships.
Our employer engagement supports employability through enhancements to curriculum development, mentoring placements, volunteering opportunities and industry specialist speakers. As a result, 93% of graduates are in work or further study just six months after graduation (Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education (2017), known outcomes.
The College is a founder member of HIVE – The Blackburn with Darwen Business Leaders’ Network.
HIVE has already become an integral part of the area’s Local Strategic Partnership, which brings together leading figures from the private, public and third sectors and is Blackburn and Darwen’s largest partnership body.