Why Choose Blackburn College
Blackburn College is one of the largest providers of higher education for a college in England and has been providing education and training since 1888.
Below you will find out lots more about the College including; our success, our work with employers and the positive impact we have in our local community
- 9 out of 10 students are in work or further study within 6 months - for the 5th year in a row (2013-17)!*
- 100% A-Level Pass Rates in 23 subjects (2018)
- 34% of A-Level grades achieved at A*-B (2018)
- 2% increase in A-Level A*-B grades (2018)
- The College works with over 3,000 employers including BAE Systems, Media City and Senator International
- 85% of degrees approved by Lancaster University - in the top 10 Universities in the UK and The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year for 2018
*Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education, known outcomes
Over world-class has been invested in our unique, state-of-the-art town centre campus, developed collaboratively with employers and stakeholders to future proof the curriculum.
We believe our Student Support Package for school leavers (16-18 year olds) is the best in Pennine Lancashire:
- £30 per term Travel Pass
- Free Essential Kit and Uniform
- Free Breakfast and £1 Lunch
- Employability skills and support
- Guaranteed progression opportunities to University Centre at Blackburn College
Engaging with Employers
We work closely with employers from a range of sectors to be an indispensable partner in supporting the economic landscape of Pennine Lancashire and beyond.
We deliver specialist, bespoke training as well as Apprenticeships, Traineeships and Professional Qualifications, all of which equip the workforce with job relevant skills that match the current employment market. Our University Centre also provides Higher Education to employers, including Foundation Degrees, Degrees and Higher Level Apprenticeships.
Our employer engagement supports employability through enhancements to curriculum development, mentoring placements, volunteering opportunities and industry specialist speakers. As a result, 9 out of 10 graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation for the fifth consecutive year.
The College is a Founder member of HIVE – The Blackburn with Darwen Business Leaders’ Network.
HIVE has already become an integral part of the area’s Local Strategic Partnership, which brings together leading figures from the private, public and third sectors and is Blackburn and Darwen’s largest partnership body.
We are currently working with a large number of the Fab 500 (500 Lancashire businesses with highest turnover). Between these businesses, they employ 150,000 people and have total sales of £27 billion. Examples include:
- Graham & Brown – Workplace training/AAT Accountancy
- Crown Paints – CIM/Electrical/Apprenticeships
- Promethean – CIPS /Management and Apprenticeships in Management & Business Administration
- Herbert Parkinson (Part of the John Lewis Group) – Textile Apprenticeships
- Fort Vale Engineering – Range of commercial courses including Management training.