The Beacon Centre
The Beacon Centre is a brand new £18.3 million teaching space sitting in the heart of the Blackburn College campus. It features The Hub, a student focussed area to support students, plus state-of-the-art teaching facilities for our courses: Creative Arts, Fashion and Textiles, Photography, Childhood Studies, Health and Social Care and Public Services, as well as a library and social and administrative accommodation.
- 65 classrooms and teaching spaces including art studios IT suites and photography studios
- Creative Arts with large window spaces for maximum natural light
- Photography studio with darkroom
- Weaving, pattern making, embroidery, ceramics, print making, digital art, fashion and textiles classrooms
- Childhood Studies classrooms featuring the pioneering Forrest School initiative
- Health and Social Care classroom with mock hospital ward
- Fully resourced library with laptop provision
- Social spaces, café featuring Starbucks.
- Male and Female multi faith prayer rooms.
- The Beacon Centre has been built to a embrace sustainability:
- Thermally designed building to BREEAM ‘excellent’ rating – to limit heat loss
- Grey water system – rainwater is harvested off the roof to flush the toilets
- Air source heat pumps – converts external air temperatures into useful heat, such as underfloor heating
- Windowmaster temperature and CO2 monitors – opens and closes windows automatically
- Solar thermal water collectors – uses sun rays to heat water for hand washing
- Green sedum roof covers the three-storey structure – created to reduce the amount of rainfall entering the drains and provide new habitats.
About Us News & Student Stories
Staff and Students March in the Durham Miners Gala...
Blackburn College staff and students took to the s...
Blackburn Pioneer Of Digital Community Learning Re...
An inspirational tutor from Blackburn has won a na...
College Supports Successful National Festival of M...
Blackburn College has remained an integral part of...
College Supports Project to Develop Lancashire’s W...
Blackburn College is supporting a new programme de...