English and Maths for all students
The development of skills in English and Maths is critical to the development of personal, social and employability skills needed when progressing either to university or your chosen career. At Blackburn College Sixth Form we support you to achieve these life enhancing qualifications.
Who needs to do it?
- All full-time students aged 16-19 who have not yet achieved an A*-C (9-4) in GCSE English or Maths will be required to work towards a GCSE Grade C (4) in English and/or Maths as part of their study programme.
The importance of English and Maths
The CBI (Confederation of British Industry) Education & Skills Survey 2012 identified literacy and numeracy as the top priority skills employers look for in 14-19 year olds, and also commented that, in terms of literacy and numeracy, GCSE passes at grades A*-C (9-4) in English and Maths are seen as the best qualifications in terms of equipping young people with the skills needed at work.
The CBI also identified the fundamental, underpinning facet of employability as having 'a positive attitude'. At Blackburn College Sixth Form, the need for a positive attitude to learning and work is constantly reinforced through lessons, tutorials and enrichment activities. Key areas covered in the classes include:
- Communication skills
- General mathematical awareness and its application in practical contexts
- Self-management and readiness to accept responsibility
- Team working
- Business and customer awareness
- Problem solving – analysing facts and selecting appropriate solutions
- Application of information technology
Aged 16-18 Recent News & Student Stories
Megan Ainsworth - Auto Electrical Specialist Level 2
In the future, I plan on getting a job either in a...
Grace Bradford - Level 3 Extended Diploma Business and Law and A-Level Art
Grace Bradford talks about studying Level 3 Extend...
Michaela Kennedy - Level 3 Interactive Software and Media Diploma
Michaela Kennedy talks about studying Level 3 Inte...
Declan Walsh - Level 3 Public Services (Uniformed or Non-Uniformed)
Declan Walsh talks about studying Level 3 Public S...
Stars shine brightly at Blackburn College's FE Star Awards
Celebrating another year of student success and ac...