Advance Employability Programme
Our Blackburn College Advance Employability Programme is designed to facilitate the improvement of your professional skills - ensuring you’re prepared for work and further study and to ensure you develop the attributes you need to excel in your career.
The programme is endorsed by top employers. The skills you learn through the programme will help you with your future employment and career goals.
Go for Gold!
We will recognise those achieving the programme at our Annual Awards!
There are four key areas of the Blackburn College Advance Employability Programme.
1. Career Focussed
- Self understanding - Completed a skills audit, identified areas for improvement and taken practical steps to improve
- Self-motivated - Have thoroughly researched your career options and have a Career Plan in place to achieve your future ambitions, including continuous professional development
- Have visited different job websites and are able to work out which jobs meet your skills
- Communication & Digital Skills - CV created and ability to tailor to specific jobs
- Communication (written) - Be able to create a covering letter and personal statement, using a person specification for jobs you are interested in
- Have engaged with the Careers Programme - information online at www.blackburn.ac.uk . This has to be logged on Moodle.
- Communication (verbal) - Completed Mock Interview to a high standard
2. Progression Ready
- Commitment - Applied for a University Course or your next level of study and/or a job linked to your Career Plan and intended destination
- Decision Making, Organisation and Planning - Completed a minimum of 40 hours active interest work to support career development e.g. open days, career seminars/workshops, careers guidance activities, mentoring activities, attendance/participation in college events
3. Engaged with Employers
- Commercial Awareness & Reliability - Completed a 45 day Extended Industry Placement or over 30 hours of Work Placement as required by your course with good employer feedback
- Enterprise & Communication - Completed a live employer brief with good employer feedback
- Commercial Awareness - Produce a detailed overview of your placement company (its objectives, markets, competitors) including how you will use this experience in your studies
- Self Awareness - Attended mock interview/coaching session/masterclass from an employer coach and acting on feedback
4. Excelling in Development of Skills, Knowledge, Behaviours & Attitudes
- Reliability - Achieved consistently outstanding attendance and punctuality (97% minimum)
- Work Ethic - Achieved target grades or above in all aspects of the course
- Team Working - Take an active role and make a strong contribution within in a team
- Leadership - Lead a team of peers in a group task and ensure all members of the team have a role, contribute and ensure that the task is a success. This can be course or enrichment related, or as a Student Rep etc
- Communication & Digital skills - Strong communication skills demonstrated through various forms:
- Presentation created and delivered using Powerpoint/ digital presentation software (Level 1 and above)
- Conduct online learning by accessing learning platforms, online resources and submit documentation in a safe and encrypted way (Level 2 and above)
- Can communicate and learn appropriately using online video conferencing software (Level 3)
- Creative Ideas - Has shown imagination, innovation and creativity either practically or generation of ideas referenced to an assessment, task or activity
- Problem Solving - Has shown problem solving abilities referenced to an assessment, task or activity