Frequently asked questions by Apprentices
How many hours will I be expected to work?
All apprentices must be in paid employment and working a minimum of 30 hours a week before they can be offered a training programme. The maximum a 16-18 year old can work is 40 hours and this includes time off for attending training sessions either at work or college.
How much will I get paid?
The current minimum wage rate for an Apprentice is £3.70 per hour.
What do you study through an apprenticeship?
An Apprenticeship is essentially a set of qualifications called a ‘framework’ developed by Sector Skills Councils. Most Apprenticeship frameworks follow a standard format that comprises:
- A National Vocational Qualification (e.g. Level 2 for Intermediate Level Apprenticeships, Level 3 for Advanced Level Apprenticeships, Level 4/5 for Higher Level Apprenticeships).
- Knowledge based qualification
- Transferable Skills
College provides the knowledge and develops skills while the employer provides the practical experience to put those skills to the test. Training can be classroom based, in a workshop or in a workplace, depending on the subject and on the learning provider.
What are the advantages of studying an apprenticeship?
Getting qualified while on the job can also mean:
- You work better and more effectively
- It can set you up to move into new and better jobs
- You get better pay
- You get to experience new and different challenges
- Your existing skills and knowledge are recognised and can help you gain a qualification faster
- You learn at your own pace and get support when you need it
- Better job security
- You gain skills and knowledge which can be used across a range of jobs and industries.
Can I get help finding an employer?
Blackburn College will work with applicants to help find a suitable employer where possible. However we always advise anyone looking to undertake an Apprenticeship to be actively seeking employment for themselves too.
Apprenticeships Recent News & Student Stories
Christian Wilson - Car and Motor Vehicle Auto Electrical Mechanic Apprenticeship Level 2
Car and Motor Vehicle Auto Electrical Mechanic App...
Bethany Hinton - Business and Administration Apprenticeship (Level 2 Intermediate)
Since completing my Apprenticeship, I continue to ...
Ebony Bell - The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship - BA (Hons) Business Management with Leadership
I fully intend on working my way up the career lad...
Benjamin Riley - Business and Administration Apprenticeship (Level 2 Intermediate)
The assessor at Blackburn College has been great a...
Jonathan secures Apprenticeship via Moving on Project
I really enjoyed my work placement with Bowker and...
Lewis Parkinson - Level 3 Apprenticeship in Design
Lewis Parkinson talks about studying Level 3 Appre...