Higher and Degree Level Apprenticeships
Higher Level Apprenticeships offer an excellent alternative to the traditional route to gaining higher level qualifications, by offering you practical industry skilled training combined with study.
Higher Apprenticeships are available from level 4 to 7 and are equivalent to a foundation degree and above e.g. a professional qualification.
Degree apprenticeships are available at levels 6 and 7 (full bachelor’s and Master’s).
Apprenticeships are available to anyone over the age of 16, living in England and are available at intermediate, advanced, higher and degree levels.
All apprenticeships are genuine jobs so all apprentices earn a salary. You must be paid at least the national minimum apprenticeship wage and many employers pay significantly more. Apprentices should work enough hours each week so that they can undertake sufficient, regular training and on-the-job activity.
Entry requirements depend on the sector and prior skills. If you have achieved A-levels you may still be expected to start at intermediate or advanced level as some sectors, such as engineering, require you to build up your occupational skills.
How are they structured?
Higher and degree apprenticeships combine work with study and may include a work-based, academic or combined qualification or a professional qualification relevant to the industry. Levels 4 and 5 are equivalent to a Higher Education Certificate/Diploma or a foundation degree, level 6 is equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree and level 7 is equivalent to a Master’s degree. Typically, higher apprentices study part-time at college, university or with a training provider. Apprenticeships take between one and five years to complete.
A comprehensive guide can be found here.
Who can study a Higher Level Apprenticeship?
Anyone aged 18 or over can study for a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship. To be eligible you will need to have achieved one of the following qualifications or be able to demonstrate that you have suitable relevant and recent occupational experience:
- A levels
- Vocational Level 3 qualifications
- An Advanced Apprenticeship
What are the benefits?
Studying a Higher Level Apprenticeship will allow you to:
- Develop your professional career
- Work and earn whilst studying
- Gain industry relevant qualifications
Higher Level and Degree Apprenticeships available
We currently offer the following Higher Level Apprenticeships:
- Human Resource Consultant/Partner Apprenticeship CIPD (Level 5)
- Commercial Procurement and Supply Apprenticeship (Level 4)
- Chartered Manager Degree Level 6 Apprenticeship - Business Management with Leadership BA (Hons)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Apprenticeship BEng (Hons)
- Senior Housing Property Management
- Children, Young People & Families Manager Apprenticeship (Level 5)
- Children, Young People and Families Practitioner Apprenticeship (Level 4)
- Leader in adult care Apprenticeship (Level 5)
- Learning and Skills Teacher (Level 5)
- Marketing Executive (Level 4)
- Control / technical support engineer BEng (Hons)
- Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship Level 4
Read about Laura who completed her Higher Apprenticeship with us and won the Higher Apprentice of the Year Award.
Need to convince your employer?
If you think that a Higher Apprenticeship route is right for you, we are happy to discuss the options with you and your employer. Your employer may find reading the Government’s Guide to Higher and Degree level Apprenticeships useful.
Apprenticeships News & Student Stories
Kieran Worrall - Advanced Apprenticeship Children ...
"It’s been a long seven years, but I made it to wh...
James Cocker - AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Acc...
"I am incredibly proud to be the first Blackburn C...
Chance to Win £200 for Blackburn College and Unive...
Blackburn College and University Centre students w...
Jordan Yates - Construction and the Built Environm...
"The tutors at Blackburn College do more than get ...
James Earns Blackburn College’s First Assistant Ac...
James Cocker has become the first Blackburn Colleg...
Blackburn College Beauty Apprentices Benefitting f...
Two Blackburn College Beauty Apprentices are benef...