Awareness of Legionnaires' Disease
- Course Code: CHEL019
- Duration: 1 year
- Price: £40.00
- Start Date: 30-Jul-19, 01-Aug-19
- Days: MON/FRI
- Times: 09:00-17:00
- Validated by: NONE
- Delivery Type: PT
Who is the course for?
This module is aimed primarily at those working with manufactured water handling systems or in an environment where water handling systems are used.
How will the course be delivered?
With approximately 80 interactive screens, it is estimated that this module will take approximately 2 - 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- An Introduction to Legionnaires' Disease in Water Handling Systems
- How do Legionnaires' Outbreak Occur?
- Legislation and Compliance
- Water Handling Systems Owner's Safety Responsibility
- Water Handling Systems - Service Provider Responsibility and Opportunity
- Legionella Risk System - Cooling Towers
- Legionella Risk - Hot and Cold Water Systems
- Photo Album and Summary
- What will I study?
What will I study?
On average there are approximately 200 to 250 reported cases of Legionnaires' disease each year in the UK, although many believe this total is generally underestimated. The disease is caused by the 'Legionella pneumophilia' bacteria and is an extremely serious form of Legionellosis, causing high fever and proving fatal in approximately 12% of cases. In an attempt to help reduce these figures, this module has been developed by Virtual College working with partners Life Environmental Services. It has been designed to help raise awareness of Legionnaires' disease by explaining how outbreaks might occur, and highlighting water systems that have a potentially high risk of developing the Legionnella bacterium. On completion, learners will have an increased understanding of Legionnaires' disease, including the potential consequences of an outbreak and the symptoms associated with the disease. The module also provides information on the relevant legislation and requirements for compliance. On completion you will be able to:
- Recognise the implications of a Legionnaires' disease outbreak
- Summarise how Legionnaires outbreaks can occur in water handling systems
- Identify relevant legislation and the requirements for compliance
- Recognise the role of water handling system owners
- Recognise the role of water handling systems safety providers
- Identify higher risk water handling system
- Entry Requirements
Course Entry Criteria
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- How will I be assessed?
- What can I do next?
We offer a wide range of construction courses, click here for further information.
- For more information