Moving and Handling Objects and People
- Course Code: CHEL025
- Duration: 1 year
- Price: £40.00
- Start Date: 30-Jul-19, 01-Aug-19
- Days: MON/FRI
- Times: 09:00-17:00
- Validated by: NONE
- Delivery Type: PT
Anyone working in the health service and care sectors, however, the section on how to move objects safely is applicable to anyone who may need to lift items as part of their duties.
- What will I study?
Moving patients is one of the most important skills needed in an NHS or Care environment. This module covers the standard moving and handling training, but also includes a full section on moving and handling patients to ensure that staff are fully skilled in techniques for moving people. All staff involved in moving patients should be fully trained to reduce the risk of causing injuries when moving people.
Back injury is the main reason for absence from the workplace and one third of all reported injuries that result in three days off work are caused by manual handling accidents. In the NHS the situation has been particularly serious, with this type of accident accounting for 40% of all sickness absence, at an estimated cost in the region of £400 million each year.
Employers are required by law to take reasonable steps to safeguard the health and safety of all employees, one of which is increasing awareness about the hazards, and what can be done to minimise risk.
This Moving and Handling module provides learners with the knowledge they need in order to reduce the chance of incurring an injury whilst moving loads in their work environment. Four main areas are covered:
- Moving and handling and the Law – i.e. the drivers for ensuring you know what you should, and what you and your employers' responsibilities are
- The spine and back care – structure and function of the spine, what can go wrong and how to avoid it happening
- Moving and Handling Objects – all you need to know to do this safely, e.g. training, risk assessments, equipments, appropriate lifting techniques
- Moving and Handling People – the emphasis is on avoiding manual handling of patients wherever possible. Again training, risk assessments and equipment are covered, along with the need to communicate with the person in order to aid co-operationHaving completed the module, learners will be better equipped to move and handle objects safely.
- Entry Requirements
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- How will I be assessed?
It is estimated that this module will take approximately 3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
- What can I do next?
We offer a wide range of health and social care e-learning courses, click here for further information.
- For more information