- Course Code: D480
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Start Date: 10-Oct-19, 20-Jan-20, 11-May-20, 07-Sep-20
- Validated by: NOCN
This is the basic course for union reps. It introduces the key concepts and provides a thorough foundation for workplace representatives to develop their skills to enable them to carry out their role effectively.
TUC Education's Union Reps Stage 1 is the essential course for workplace union reps and stewards. Find out what it means to be a union rep, how to represent our members effectively and how to take up both collective and individual issues with your employer. You will also think about the future and how to influence where it is taking you and those you represent.
The course helps union representatives to understand their role and responsibilities as a rep. They include working together with members and other union reps; talking to members and dealing with their problems; recruiting members and getting them involved in the union; meeting management to discuss a range of issues at work and keeping members informed about wider union concerns.
The course is a sixty hour course delivered over six months.
- What will I study?
The course will help you:
- understand the job of the union rep in the workplace and the wider union
- use and make agreements
- represent members in discussions with employers
- understand how grievances and disciplinaries are handled
- understand rights at work
- build confidence in your role and responsibilities as a union rep
- develop the skills you need to be an effective rep.
- Entry Requirements
- How will I be assessed?
- What can I do next?
- Your Study Programme