- Course Code: FS007
- Duration: 1 academic year
- Validated by: City and Guilds
- Study mode: Part Time
This is a one-year programme of study that covers the key practical and theoretical aspects of Professional Cookery. The programme is ideal for mature students wishing to move into careers in the Catering and Hospitality industry and is planned to be timetabled for approximately 10 hours over 2 days per week.
- What will I study?
You will study units of the City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery qualification.
- Maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- How to maintain, handle and clean knives
- Preparing, cooking and finishing meat, fish, poultry, vegetable, soup, pasta, rice and egg dishes and accompanying stocks and sauces
- Preparing, cooking and finishing pastry, dough and cake products and hot and cold desserts
- Entry Requirements
Ideally you will have a Level 1 Hospitality qualification or equivalent, alternatively you may have experience in the Hospitality industry or be looking to enter the industry in the future. All applicants will be interviewed by the course leader for their suitability prior to the start of the course.
- How will I be assessed?
You will be continuously assessed on the work you produce in the practical working areas, relevant theory tests and your portfolio.
- What can I do next?
Upon completion of this course you can progress onto Level 3 Professional cookery. Once you have completed the Level 3 qualification you may progress to Higher Education. Many students choose to study - this is approved by Lancaster University who are in the Top 10 of Universities in the UK.
- Your Study Programme