- Course Code: FS002
- Duration: 1 academic year
- Start Date: 07-Sep-20, 06-Sep-21
- Validated by: City and Guilds
- Study mode: Full Time
This all encompassing hospitality course offers you excellent opportunities to develop skills in all sectors of the Catering industry.
Suitable if you work, or want to work as a chef or achieve a senior position within the catering and hospitality sector, you will develop a high standard of cookery skills and learn other workplace essential knowledge in particular health and safety within a modern kitchen.
You will gain an excellent range of opportunities including working within fine dining, hotels, bars and restaurants, which provides you with an ideal grounding for progression onto higher qualifications, moving into employment and possibly even travelling the world.
This is an exciting course during which you willl also learn a range of high level skills and techniques used by pastry chefs and patissiers. You will use a wide range of patisserie materials, equipment and ingredients within structured, practical sessions plus experience a variety of standard patisserie industry practices.
You will learn:
- To prepare and cook fish, meat and poultry
- To work with fruit, vegetable and egg dishes
- To produce rice, pulse and grain dishes
- To create authentic pasta dishes
- To prepare and bake dough products, cakes and sponges, hot and cold desserts
- Create and produce pastry goods
We can arrange up to 30 hours of work placements for you with our partners, such as Northcote, Blackburn Rovers,Premier Inn or Holmes Mill; giving you the benefit of enriching your CV with valuable real work experience.
During the course you will be able to benefit from a range of enrichment trips. Trips have included visits to Holmes Mill (a recent, new venture of a hotel and restaurant), to Ribble Farm Fayre to see how a wholesale Vegetable supplier operates. Plus Local organic cheese making and making mozzerella cheese from water buffalo milk!
- What will I study?
To achieve Level 2 in Professional Cookery candidates must complete 18 units.
ou will study units such as:
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Health, hygiene and food safety
- Prepare and cook fish, meat & poultry
- Produce vibrant fruit & vegetable dishes
- Produce rice, pulse & grain dishes
- Produce authentic pasta dishes
- Create soups and sauces
- Produce egg dishes
- Produce bread, cakes, sponge products, and hot & cold desserts
- Patisserie and confectionery
- Entry Requirements
You will have already completed a Level 1 course. 4 GCSE Grades of 4 or above.
- How will I be assessed?
The course will comprise of 75% practical and 25% theory.
You will be assessed using the following methods:
- Questioning (this could be verbal or written)
- What can I do next?
Once you have completed your Level 2 Professional Cookery qualification you will be able to move on to Level 3 Professional Cookery or Level 3 Patisserie and Confectionery.
- Your Study Programme