Safeguarding Services Locally and Nationally
For advice and guidance, please call the safeguarding team on 01254 292424 or on firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many organisations and agencies who can provide confidential support and advice during this difficult time – these include the agencies below:
Urgent and Serious Mental Health Cases
A new Mental Health helpline and “in person” service is available at the Royal Blackburn Hospital A&E department.
The response line, for urgent and serious mental health cases, is 0800 953 0110.
- Mental Health - Coronavirus (how to look after your Mental Health during the Coronavirus outbreak - advice for students and parent)
- Healthier Lancs and South Cumbria - Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Young Minds - Coronavirus and Mental Health
- Clear Fear – tackling anxiety and managing worries
- Mind Shift – coping with anxiety
- Headspace – Relaxation techniques
General Mental Health Support
- Kooth – online counselling and emotional wellbeing platform for children and young people easily accessible. Anonymous and free
- Elefriends – supportive online community a safe place to listen, share and be heard. For those persons 18 and over
- Young Minds - support and awareness of young people’s mental health up to 25. Also has support for parents
- The Mix – Support and information for under 25’s including discussion boards and live chat
- Big White Wall – online mental health community accessible to all
Freephone Wellbeing, Mental Health Helpline and Texting Service
08009154640 – NHS free out of hours service for support with mental health for all ages.
Apps for Relaxation
- Smiling Minds
Apps which Help with Distraction from Self-harm
- Calm Harm
The Samaritans (provide emotional support to anyone in emotional distress struggling to cope or at risk of suicide)
- 116 123 (free from land line and mobile)
- Text on 07725909090 or email email@example.com
The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline
- Available all year round Monday to Friday 7pm to 11pm and weekends 12 noon to midnight 0800 915 4640 or text HELLO to 07860022846
Young Minds Crisis Messenger
- Text service providing 24/7 free crisis support across the UK. Text YM to 85258
- If there are thoughts of suicide or there is a concern for a young person who might be considering suicide confidential support and advice available 9am to 10pm weekdays and 2pm to 10pm weekends on 08000684141 or text on 07786209697. Email pat@papyrus-uk-org
App to Help Suicidal Thoughts
- Stay Alive
Please remember if someone is in danger or has harmed themselves you must call 999
- National Domestic Abuse Hotline – 0808 2000 247
- The Wish Centre – local domestic abuse support, free and confidential – 01254 260465
- Victim Support – free and confidential support
Forced Marriage, Hate Crime & FGM (Female Genital Mutilation)
- Breathing Space Lancashire
- Blackburn with Darwen – Nightsafe 01254 503067
- Pendle & Burnley HAPI – SafeSpace – 01282 619102
- Hyndburn & Ribble Valley – YNOT Aspire – 01254 352592
- Rossendale – HAPI-SafeSpace – 01706212894
The above services are for young people aged between 14-25 who are at risk of homelessness
Housing Needs - for adults who are homeless:
- Blackburn with Darwen Council – 01254 585585
- Rossendale - Rossendale Borough Council, Housing and Homelessness
- Hyndburn – 01254 388111
- Burnley – 01282 425011
- Chorley - Housing Support
Some good links giving advice around internet safety at the current time and advice for parents:
- Internet Matters - Helping parents keep their children safe online
- NSPCC - Online Safety
- UK Safer Internet Centre - Young People
Drugs and Alcohol
Inspire - Blackburn with Darwen (01254 495014)
GO2 Young Peoples Drug and Alcohol Service (01254 495052)
Students can access links and information for support and advice on Moodle.
Children's Social Care
If you are concerned about a child being abused or neglected please call:
Blackburn with Darwen Council Child Advice and Duty Service (CADS)
- Monday to Friday (Office hours) 01254 666400 Evenings and weekends: 01254 587547
Lancashire County Council
- Monday to Friday (office hours) 0300 123 6720 or out of office hours 0300 123 6722
Please use the numbers below if you have a safeguarding concern with regards to a vulnerable adult:
- Blackburn with Darwen Council – 01254 585949
- Lancashire County Council – 0300 123 6720
Please remember to ring 999 should a child or vulnerable adult be at risk of immediate harm or should a crime have been committed. Please call an ambulance and request Police support and/or an ambulance
News & Student Stories
Blackburn College Enjoys Long-Standing Partnership...
Blackburn College and the award-winning Headmaster...
Apprentice Annalise Represents Blackburn College o...
Business Administration Apprentice Annalise Bartle...
University Centre Blackburn College Bring New Skil...
As Lancashire’s manufacturing businesses continue ...
Three Talented Photography Students Set for Bright...
Three overseas students have enjoyed degree succes...
Kieran Achieves His Ambition After Successful Univ...
Blackburn University Centre graduate Kieran Worral...
University Centre’s Fine Art Features on BBC North...
Blackburn University Centre appeared on BBC North ...