Additional Course Costs

When studying at Higher Education level you may incur costs in addition to your course or programme fees. Not all courses or programmes incur additional costs but it is useful for you to be aware of the types of things you may have to pay for.

To support you during your studies we offer all our full time students a generous financial support package which could eradicate any additional costs. 

This is not an exhaustive list of associated course or programme costs but some, or all, may be relevant to you.

  • Disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks (formerly Criminal Service Bureau or CRB checks): students studying on courses or programmes that will bring them in to contact with children or vulnerable adults e.g. healthcare, counselling, education are required to have a DBS Check prior to starting an associated course or programme. For more information visit the Government website
  • Materials: materials that are specific to a project or piece of work including art materials e.g. fabrics and dyes, paints and brushes, photography film, metals and oils.
  • Insurance: we have few courses or programmes where a student is required to have their own insurance.  However, a situation where a student may require their own insurance would be if their placement employer does not hold the relevant liability insurance e.g. sole trader or voluntary organisation. Where this may apply to a course students’ will receive additional information as part of the application and enrolment process to support the student in finding a suitable placement pre-arrival.
  • Professional Body Membership and Examinations: on some programmes, for example business, students are entitled to student membership of a related professional organisation.  Unless stated in the course or programme literature these fees are payable by the student though not a requirement for studying on an undergraduate programme.  However, it may be a requirement for professional courses e.g. Chartered Institute of Professional Development.
  • Clothing and Equipment: some subjects e.g. complementary therapies, engineering and construction sciences require students to wear a corporate uniform, overall or lab coat.  Where relevant, these are purchased directly via the University Centre.  Although some students purchase their own hard hats and goggles for example, these are usually available within the laboratories or for on or off campus visits.
  • Field Trips, study visits (UK and abroad):  Although some courses or programmes have field trips or study visits which are core there may be little or no expenses attached e.g. walking distance from campus.  However, other activities may incur travel, accommodation, subsistence and insurance.
  • Books and journals: Our libraries provide free access to a wide range of written materials including printed books and electronic access to journals and ebooks. There may be a limited number of certain printed books and/or restricted borrowing so many students choose to purchase their own copies of core textbooks.
  • Technology: scientific or standard calculator depending on subject being studied.  PCs, MACs and laptops are available for on campus loan from the University Centre library with access to subject specific software e.g. CAD.  However, there is limited provision so many students have their own laptop, tablet or other mobile device for use in and outside of lectures and tutorials.
  • Work placement: the main expense associated with work placement for most students is the travel costs to and from placement location. For those students who choose to do their work placement abroad will need to take in to their calculations flights and transfers, accommodation and subsistence, travel and health insurance, visas and immunisations.

Everyday Costs

The everyday costs of studying at Blackburn University Centre that apply to all students include

  • Travel: costs associated with travelling to and from campus. This could be bus or train fares, costs associated with running a car including car parking charges.
  • Consumables: folders, pads, pens
  • Printing/photocopying: most written assignments are submitted via Turnitin but there are occasions where you are required to submit work in a printed format e.g. dissertation.  There are on campus printing/photocopy facilities in each library and an on campus Reprographics Office providing a wider selection of printing and photocopying service e.g. colour printing, laminating, booklets and posters.
  • Subsistence: the campus has three main outlets where students can purchase meals, drinks and snacks.  Water fountains are available around the campus for students to refill reusable bottles at no cost

Students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities. Blackburn University Centre and the Students' Union provide some enrichment events that incur no additional costs but some do.